The Royal Ulster Agricultural Society
The Royal Ulster Agricultural Society (RUAS) was first known as the North East Agricultural Association of Ireland which was formed in 1854 following the Great Famine and a desire to improve agriculture. The Society was to embrace the counties of Down, Antrim, Armagh and Monaghan by holding Agricultural Shows and giving agricultural instruction.
In December 1903, the name was changed to the Ulster Agricultural Society, then in January 1904, His Majesty King Edward VII commanded that the Society be known as the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society. The Society has charitable status and its income is applied towards the promotion of its objectives.
The King’s Hall was opened in 29th May 1934 by His Royal Highness and the Duke of Gloucester and quickly became a landmark of international renown. In April 1991 the Department of the Environment recognised its presence and features by placing it on the list of buildings of special architectural and historic interest.
To promote agriculture in Northern Ireland by holding Agricultural Shows and by giving agricultural instruction by exhibitions, lectures and other such means as may from time to time be found expedient. The promotion of Industries, Art, Science and Literature, though they have always been treated as minor in relation to the main objective of promoting agriculture.
Royal Ulster Agricultural Society
The King’s Hall,
Tel: 02890 665225
Fax: 02890 661264